This court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Bt. PC, GCB, 1786 -1869, created Baron Broughton 1851, who was Member of Parliament for Westminster from 1820 to 1833, for Nottingham from 1834 to 1847 & for Harwich from 1848 to 1851. He held several important offices of state, including those of Secretary of State for War and Chief Secretary for Ireland. In 1824 Sir John spoke at the first dinner of the Society of British Artists, whose galleries on Whitcomb Street have been kept and restored. He was appointed First Commissioner of Woods & Forests (the then title of the First Crown Estate Commissioner) in 1834. His close connection with the Crown Estate, with the City of Westminster & with the Society of British Artists is commemorated by the naming of this Court after him.