Lighthouse Cape L'Agulhas This lighthouse sited on the most dangerous part of the South African coast was completed in 1849 at an approximate cost of £12,000. It is the second oldest lighthouse in South Africa.
Blackfriars Bridge standing on the site of the original bridge named after William Pitt the Elder in 1760. Constructed and maintained
without burden upon public funds out of monies derived from
Bridge House Estates Trust First opened 6th November 1869 by
Her Majesty Queen Victoria
widened and reopened 14th September 1909 by
The Rt. Hon. Sir George Wyatt Truscott. Bart., Lord Mayor
This east wing of the south front of the Guildhall was restored in 1910 according to the original design and as built by George Dance RA in 1788.
The Rt. Hon. Sir John Knill, bart, Lord Mayor
F. G. Painter Esq Deputy Chairman City Land Committee
Sydney Perks FRIBA, FSA, Architect
Jasper Information Centre This building is one of the finest and most influential examples of rustic architecture in Canada's national parks. Designed by A.M. Calderon and completed in 1914, it introduced a building tradition based on the use of local construction materials, in this case cobblestone and timber. The facility originally housed park administration offices, a museum, and living quarters for the park superintendent. As the first major building in the townsite, it helped to define the character of Jasper's early development and provided a conspicuous landmark that greeted park visitors upon their arrival by train.
Kassiesbaai A fishing community had probably already been settled here on crown land by 1820, five years after the shipwreck of the Arniston. After passing into the successive ownership of the Swart and Pratt families, the settlement and ten morgen of land were transferred to the Waenhuiskrans Fishermen's Union in 1937. In 1970, when threatened by the Group Areas Act, the village was saved and subsequently restored by the Preserve Arniston Committee. Kassiesbaai is one of the few remaining traditional fishing villages in the vernacular style once prevalent in the South Western Cape.