The Adelphi This building stands on the site of Adelphi Terrace built by the brothers Adam in 1768 - 1774. Among the occupants of the Terrace were Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk, David Garrick, Richard Doyly Carte, Thomas Hardy & George Bernard Shaw, The London School of Economics and Political Science and the Savage Club also had their premises here. LCC 1951
RNH opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October 1924 This stone was laid by Philip E Hill Esq chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on the 8th day of December 1936.
This building and its contents being a portion of a gift from Frederick John Horniman MP to the London County Council as representing the people of London, are dedicated to the public for ever as a free museum for their recreation, instruction & enjoyment. 1901
To perpetuate on this spot the memory of Robert Milligan a merchant of London to whose genius, perseverance and guardian care the surrounding great work principally owes it's design, accomplishment and regulation. The directors and proprietors deprived by his death on the 21st May 1809 of the continuation of his invaluable services by their unanimous vote have caused this statue to be erected.
This fountain together with the open space on which it is erected was presented to the Borough of Hampstead for the public benefit in memory of the late Samuel Palmer of Northcourt, Hampstead by his widow and family. 1904
City of London. The Dragons represent a constituent part of the armorial bearings of the City of London and have been erected to indicate the Western Boundary of the City. This commemorative plaque was unveiled by The Rt Hon The Lord Mayor Sir Ralph Edgar Perring on 16th October 1963.
1869 - 1976 The Evelina Hospital for Sick Children in Southwark Baroness Evelina de Rothschild
Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild
Lady Superintendent Alice Cross
Dr Arthur Farre MD FRCP FRS This plaque celebrates the founding of the Evelina Children's Hospital, which was built on this site in 1869. It commemorates the work of the founder, planners, doctors, nurses and staff, and all the generous benefactors and supporters during the hospital's first 107 years.
The hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in memory of the early deaths of his wife, Evelina, and their baby son. The hospital was planned by Dr Arthur Farre, obstetrician to Evelina and the royal family.
The chosen site, Southsea Court in Southwark, was in one of the poorest districts of London, where children were stricken with disease, serious infections and undernourishment leading to many deaths. This new model hospital uplifted the spirit of the people, bringing to a deprived district the hope of fighting the ravages of childhood diseases.
In 1976 the Evelina moved to Guy's Tower, Southwark, to unite with Guy's Hospital Children's Department. The old Evelina building was demolished and the area was converted into Mint Street Park.