Sir Robert Grosvenor succeeded his father as Earl Grosvenor in 1802. Educated at Harrow and Cambridge he became a member of parliament, lord-lieutenant of the County of Flint and was a renowned and enthusiastic art collector. In 1831 he was created Marquess of Westminster and was a sword carrier at the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837. He was made a Knight of the Garter in 1842. Sir Robert Grosvenor had a vision for a grand development of Belgravia and Pimlico and directed its progress until his death in 1845. The name Belgravia comes from a Grosvenor title of Viscount Belgrave which is taken from a village of that name on the family estate in Cheshire. The plinth on which the statue stands is made of limestone quarried at Halkyn in the County of Flint on land belonging to the family.
Hugh Lupus, first Duke of Westminster, K.G., lessor to the Improved Industrial Dwellings Coy. Ltd. Of this and other buildings on his London estate accommodating nearly 4,000 persons of the working class, the friend and benefactor of his poorer brethren. Obit 1899.
In 1747 these gates and railings were purchased for this church from Cannons, Edgware, the seat of James First Duke of Chandos friend and patron of the composer Handel. Originally wrought about 1715 they were restored in 1952 by Charles Hall Ltd of Hampstead.
St Marylebone Parish Church - Forset, Edward - Douce, Edmund - de Crespigny, Claudius - Wanley, Humphrey - Figg, James - Gibbs, James - Hoyle, Edward - Rysbrack, John Michael - Ferguson, James - Ramsay, Allan - Wesley, Charles - Storace, Stephen - Stubbs, George - Bentinck, William (3rd Duke of Portland) - Watson, Caroline plaque